Postcard #31. Graffito

Rebecca from Croydon requested ”Graffiti” which I originally took to mean some typography sprayed on the wall somewhere, but when I got to Rome, I was pleased to say I didn’t find any.

What I did find was etching into plaster and it’s called Graffito, or sometimes Sgraffito. It was a very popular way to decorate the plaster walls during the Renaissance and there is still plenty of evidence of it around in the buildings today. The most popular way graffito is used is to incise perspective “bricks” into the flat, plain walls, but some of it was highly decorative, with lots of borders, figures and twiddles, so I had a crack at it myself, with mixed results.

graffito thumb

Leave a Reply